Merchant Square is a landmark property in the heart of Glasgow’s Merchant City. Described as “re-built in 1886” it includes a covered courtyard “where it never rains!” surrounded by popular Bars and Restaurants, and has now been sympathetically upgraded to create a popular and thriving venue.
Planting has played a significant part in creating a completely new look and feel to the square. Most of the restaurants and bars open out into the square and are divided by barrier planters filled with low “hedges” of mass-planted Schefflera Arboricola. Taller feature planters flank the entrance to each area.
In the main square huge planters on castors (so that they can be moved around the square to facilitate the regular events held there) are planted with fruit-themed specimen trees to link with the square’s fruit-market history.
Outside the square, each of the four grand entrances have two large feature planters on either side to help emphasise and draw attention to the way into the square. Each were planted with huge feature Grape vines and seasonal underplanting for the summer and then changed to mature Olive trees for the winter months.
This whole project was carried out over a number of months and involved the senior property management team, a well-known Glasgow interior designer team as well as our own team of designers, horticulturalists, installers and ongoing maintenance team.